Over the next 15 years, USD 93 trillion of low-emissions and climate-resilient infrastructure will be needed to meet the objectives of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. According to The State of City Climate Finance 2015 report, more than 70% of this infrastructure will be built in urban areas, at a cost of US$4.5 to US$5.4 trillion per year. Current investment in low-carbon, climate-resilient infrastructure, however, is falling far short of these goals.
In response to this need, several major initiatives are actively working to mobilize public and private investments and close this financing gap in sustainable and resilient infrastructure in cities.
This event, convened by Climate Policy Initiative, the German government, the Global Covenant of Mayors, and the Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance, together with the World Bank Group, Global Infrastructure Facility, and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) under the auspices of Invest4Climate, is designed for leaders in city-level climate finance, including cities, regulators, companies, financiers and other stakeholders.
4pm – Welcoming remarks
Bill Peduto, Mayor, City of Pittsburgh
Scene setting: Current challenges
Interactive presentation of interim findings of Invest4Climate Report, presented by Lauren Carter, Engagement Advisor, Invest4Climate UNDP and Don Purka, Senior Infrastructure Finance Specialist, Financial Solutions, World Bank
Keynote: Driving ambition
Driving leadership for climate actions at city level, and how to get involved in initiatives leading the charge in the newly launched Leadership for Urban Climate Investment Initiative, the renewed Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance, and the Gap Fund.
Presented by Dr. Maria Flachsbarth, Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
4:30pm – High-level panel: Scaling investment
A moderated panel with audience Q/A wherein speakers will react to the scene-setting presentations:
- Alzbeta Klein, Director and Global Head, Climate Business, WBG-IFC
- Pradeep Kurukulasuriya, Executive Coordinator and Director, Global Environmental Finance, UNDP
- Alexandra Liftman, Global Environmental Executive, Bank of America
- Mauricio Rodas, Former Mayor of Quito and Board Member
- Dr. Karsten Sach, Director-General International and European Policy, Climate Policy, German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU)
- Moderated by Dr. Barbara Buchner, Executive Director, Climate Policy Initiative and Head of the Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance Secretariat
6pm – Networking reception*
Introduction from Dr. André Weidenhaupt, Director-General, Ministry of the Environment, Climate & Sustainable Development, Luxembourg
*Drinks and hors d’oeuvres will be served
September 25, 4-7pm
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org