European Local Energy Assistance (ELENA)

European Investment Bank (EIB) & European Commission (EC)

About

ELENA provides grants for projects preparation in energy efficiency and urban transportation, funding technical studies, energy audits, business plans and legal advisory services, tender preparation, project bundling, and project management.

Assistance Criteria

The program should be at least EUR 30 million and last for three years for energy efficiency projects or four years for urban transport projects. Standalone renewable energy generation projects are not eligible.

 

Support

There are no specific limits to a grant request. However, the requested assistance should be proportional to the amount of the Investment Programme to be prepared (normally above EUR 30 million) which means that the leverage factor (of at least 20 for sustainable energy projects and 10 for sustainable transport) upon must be respected. Grant amounts must be reasonable, justified and comply with the principle of sound financial management, in particular regarding economy and efficiency. The ELENA grant amount can cover up to 90% of the total eligible costs and the Final Beneficiary must fund the remaining 10% of the eligible costs. More details are available here.

Support Type

  • Technical Assistance

Focus

Project Stage

  • Local Government Capacity Building
  • Concept/design/scoping
  • Pre-feasibility
  • Feasibility
  • Implementation

Sector

  • Renewable Energy
  • Transportation/Mobility
  • Energy Efficiency
  • Adaptation and Resilience
Photo Credit: Lize Festers-